Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Nikitha- The Women of Strength.

women of hope.
"I live with my parents and my brothers. They are very supportive. I have a daughter who is now 2 years old. It is obvious that every mother wants to take care of her own baby even if she doesn't get support from her husband. I too wish the same, even though my husband is in prison and my in-laws ignore me. Sometimes my neighbors show sympathy to me and seem to understand my situation. Sometimes they look at me and my scars and they judge me negatively.

My life was happy in the beginning but it did not stay that way. My husband started quarreling about the issue of dowries, and blame for the birth of a girl child. After some period, my in-laws also started putting mental pressure on me. The situation stopped me to sit for the exam of 12th year exam. I was not able to achieve my goals. Then my husband crossed the limit by trying to burn me alive.

That night I had prepared a special dinner, fed our daughter and put her to sleep. I was waiting for my husband so that we could eat together, but he came home late and was drunk. I was sad and could not ask him to eat with me. I ate and was about to go to sleep when he asked me to bring kerosene. I was confused and could not imagine why he was asking for that. He told me to smell it, but I refused and suddenly he poured it on me. He said he loved its smell. I was still. I tried to leave, but the door was locked. Then, he ignited a fire and watched with enjoyment as I burned. I screamed and pleaded for him to rescue me. Finally a neighbor came to the house. I was unconscious, my husband was not there and my daughter was lying on the bed crying. I was taken to the hospital where I stayed there for a month, but I did not show any progress. I was referred to another hospital. During that time, my husband was arrested and was put in prison.

I was physically fine but mentally I could not accept my condition. I was very distressed. Even though I was with my daughter and staying with all of my family members, I was not happy. Whenever I looked in the mirror, I remembered the incident. I cried a lot. I think I did not laugh for several months. For me, my decision to file a case against my husband for divorce seemed to be wrong. My case was publicized in the newspapers. I was very much concerned about the negative reactions of my neighbors. I did not dare to wear nice clothes when I went outside because neighbors start whispering that I was having an affair with somebody new. This situation discouraged me a lot.

At that time, I could not imagine that I could ever have my current life, that I could develop self-esteem. I could not imagine that I could become full of confidence, motivation, and determination. This would not have been possible without the support of family members, counselors and supportive friends."
"Instead of feeling threatened and knocking each other down......
Lets start supporting & Building each other up....."

1 comment: